Monday, February 07, 2005

Reviews: "Alone In The Dark," "Boogeyman," & "The Wedding Date"

This weekend I saw three films. I'll start with last week's "Alone In The Dark" starring Tara Reid and Christian Slater. It is a typical video game flick. It is kind of lame and the screenplay wasn't exactly fine tuned. The same could be said for the acting. But honestly, when you are running from invisible beasts, what kind of facial expression do you have? Anyway, it is reminiscent of "The Relic" and "Mimic," with a splash of "Resident Evil." All things considered, it is a bad movie, but if you buy a ticket to that kind of movie, I am sure you will enjoy it.


I was looking forward to seeing "Boogeyman." The previews looked creepy and kind of similar to the previews for "Jeepers Creepers," my favorite horror film of all time. Well, I can now proudly proclaim that "Boogeyman" is one of my least favorite movies of all time. It is absolutely dreadful. It is boring and dull. The quick cinematography is annoying and the story just lacks any substance. The final ten minutes pack in some great action, but it is a result of not spreading that action all throughout the movie. It was number one at the box office this weekend meaning there will most likely be a sequel. At least this particular film won't be the worst movie ever made for long.


Finally, I did not want to see "The Wedding Date" but I did and I am happy that I did, too. While I still can't stand Debra Messing, Dermot Mulroney was fun to watch and so was the entire film. It is cliche but it is not as fluffy as I expected and I like that. It has more conflict and laughs than the ads make it out to have. It is not a great movie but it is a crowd pleaser and entirely enjoyable. The final scene features Michael Buble's version of "Save The Last Dance For Me" and sums up the movie wonderfully.

No comments: