Monday, March 21, 2005

Reviews: "Bride & Prejudice," "The Jacket," & "The Pacifier"

I'm back! I am sorry for the delay in the movie reviews, but I promise that I will catch up quickly. For the next three days, I will be posting multiple reviews, including a full review of "Ice Princess." I will also be adding some new features. Keep your eyes peeled for news of upcoming movies and weekly DVD releases. Be sure to leave me your comments and let me know what you would like to see added to The Popcorn Journal.

You may have heard me on the radio last week. I was the winner of KOOL FM's Best Movie Review Of The Week. I won a gift card worth six months of free movie rentals from Blockbuster. The movie that nabbed me the win? "Bride & Prejudice!"

In what may be the most colorful film of the year, "Bride & Prejudice" is a take on the old Jane Austin tale about a woman who believes men are repulsive and a man who might just prove her right. There are a few dance numbers in this Americanized Bollywood flick and they are alright, but the story and the visuals make the movie. The acting is kind of hit-or-miss (the characters are surely memorable, but some may be a bit too over-the-top) but I definately reccommend this one. It is decent for the whole family and everyone should enjoy the culture.


Another good film that was released a few weeks ago was "The Jacket," starring Adrian Brody and Keira Knightly. In what could be called a time-travel tale, Brody is a patient in a mental hospital where a doctor practices dangerous experiments by placing people in straight jackets and sliding them into a drawer. While in the drawer, Brody sees the future and spends time with an adult version of a child he had once met. It has plenty of suspense but it gets a little confusing at times. The confusion suffers even more from poor logic on behalf of the screenwriters. Fortunately, the acting and thrills make up for the faults.


On the other hand, "The Pacifier" is a wretched mess of a movie and very bad family entertainment. The new Vin Diesel flick about a man protecting a family (well, kids really) is anything but funny. The story is predictable and the actors do an especially annoying job. Surprisingly, while disliking most of the movie, I did enjoy the ending which was pleasantly sweet and action-packed.


I will post three more movie movie reviews tomorrow as well as news about this week's new DVD releases.

No comments: