Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Special Review: 2005 Oscar Picks

On February 27, all eyes will be on Hollywood as ABC presents the 77th Annual Academy Awards. As a film critic, my passion flares high over the films lucky enough to be nominated as well as those that I believe got snubbed.

I am happy to announce that Josh Groban¿s "Believe" from "The Polar Express" was nominated for Best Song. The wonderful song embodies everything that made the film so magical. Unfortunately, "The Polar Express" was left out of the Best Animated Feature Film category. Therefore, it is my hope that "Shrek 2" walks away with the win.

Another film nominated in that category, "The Incredibles," gets my vote for Best Original Screenplay. While I don¿t think that "The Incredibles" is as classic as "Shrek 2" or "The Polar Express," it deserves recognition for its meshing of ordinary family life with extraordinary superhero life. Brad Bird¿s screenplay is fast paced and has a very satisfied ending. Perhaps best of all, though, the film appeals to all ages.

On the Best Adapted Screenplay side, I will be happy if "Sideways" or "Before Sunset" gets the Oscar. Alexander Payne¿s screenplay for "Sideways" is fantastically enjoyable and full of symbolism. On the other hand, only Richard Linklater could write a romantic masterpiece like "Before Sunset." Both screenplays are works of genius. In addition to writing "Sideways," Alexander Payne also directed it. He does a great job with the entire film and should win for Best Directing.

In the Best Supporting Actress category, Laura Linney had the strongest performance in "Kinsey." She plays Clara McMillen, sex researcher Alfred Kinsey¿s supportive wife. I can¿t imagine anyone else in the role. Of course, I would also be happy if Virginia Madsen won for her role as Maya in "Sideways." In the film, Madsen delivers a memorable monologue on how wine is alive in such a way that you taste ripened grapes in your mouth.

There is also a toss-up for Best Supporting Actor. Thomas Hayden Church, who portrays Jack in "Sideways," is a laugh riot. Chruch plays a man that is as immoral as they come but you can¿t help but want to know him. However, Clive Owen gives possibly the most powerful performance of the year as Larry in "Closer." He persuades you to both pity and despise his character. At the same time, he is downright scary.

I am not too fond of any of the nominees up for Best Leading Actress but I would most like to see Hilary Swank take the win for her role as boxer Maggie Fitzgerald in "Million Dollar Baby." I feel the same way about the nominees up for Best Leading Actor. In the end, my vote goes to Leonardo DiCaprio for his portrayal as Howard Hughes in "The Aviator." While I disliked the movie, I do believe DiCaprio did a splendid job. I am quite disappointed that Kevin Spacey and Paul Giamatti did not receive nominations for their roles in "Beyond The Sea" and "Sideways," respectively.

Finally, I hope "Sideways" wins the award for Best Picture. "Sideways" is a truly enjoyable and fun tale of two friends going to wine country. It is a story about finding yourself and it convinces you to savor every sip of life. If you have not yet seen it, make sure you do. It is a rarity among feature films.

No comments: