Monday, January 17, 2005

Special Review: Favorite Flicks 2004

As I look back on the past year, I can recall all sorts of different movies. There were the blockbusters like Spider-Man 2, Shrek 2, and The Incredibles. Then there were the films that are likely to receive Oscar nominations like The Aviator, Ray, and The Phantom Of The Opera.

Of course I had to suffer my way through awful movies like Home On The Range, King Arthur, and The Stepford Wives. Finally, there were the movies that the rest of the critics panned and I loved like Envy, Connie and Carla, and Ladder 49.

But there are five movies that I can proudly name my favorite of the past year. These are the movies that I will always remember when anyone mentions 2004. Two of them are already on DVD and the rest will be out soon so get your pen and paper ready (or clip my article out for even better reference)!

Number five on my Favorite Flicks 2004 list is Before Sunset. This Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy vehicle is a sequel to a 1990’s art film titled Before Sunrise. It reunites a man and woman who had spent one memorable night together in Paris. Before Sunset is a dialogue driven film directed by Richard Linklater but the relationship between the two main characters is so fine-tuned and fascinating that it is impossible to lose interest in the movie. The final scene, featuring Julie Delpy’s singing A Waltz For A Night, is beautifully breathtaking and can rejuvenate any romantic.

Benji: Off The Leash sits at number four. This sweet and simple tale about a boy and a dog is the most heartwarming movie of the year. I personally left the theatre with tears in my eyes and I know that your family will cherish this wonderful film as well. Look for 2005’s Because Of Winn Dixie to challenge Benji: Off The Leash as the most uplifting canine flick, though.

Slot number three belongs to Cellular, about a guy trying to assist a kidnapping victim armed only with a cell phone. As hokey as the concept sounds, Cellular is the most exciting film since Speed. Nonstop action and edge-of-your-seat thrills make it one of the must-see movies of the year.

Napoleon Dynamite, the surprise hit of the summer, lands at number two. This movie about an unpopular high-schooler and his equally dopey family and friends is a laugh riot. Equipped with some of the most memorable quotes and a cast of characters you wish you knew, it would be a shame if you miss Napoleon Dynamite.

Finally, my Favorite Flick of 2004 is The Polar Express. The Christmas film based on the popular book of the same name stands out above the rest as a classic. The computer-animated movie about a boy’s trip to the North Pole on a train is my favorite animated film ever. You will believe in the magic of Christmas after seeing The Polar Express.

No comments: